Thank you for your interest in working with Austin Free-Net. Listed below are current opportunities available to work within our organization. Many of our volunteers are community members who are currently looking for work. If you’d like to volunteer, please fill out our volunteer application.
Program Specialist (Posted Marcch 23, 2017)
Manage computer/Internet classes and/or clinics and public Internet access lab(s) hosted at homeless Public Computer Center (PCC) partner sites. Coordinate course materials, evaluations, and create strategies for class participants. Send reminder messages to participants regarding classes and/or training, and track evaluations for reporting purposes. Assist and offer suggestions for curricular materials. Serve as backup to instructors in computer classes as necessary. Track number of participants, demographic information and feedback for reporting purposes.
- Work with the AFN management team and PCC partner site manager(s) to coordinate and deliver training and extended access hours for PCC partner sites.
- Assume responsibility for working with the AFN Director of Program to ensure the appropriate materials and supplies are available for training needs for the PCC partner sites.
- Coordinate all preparatory work leading to training and workshops at PCC partner sites. This includes document creation using Word and Excel, managing and packing training supplies and corresponding with PCC sites via email, phone, and in person.
- Assist PCC partner sites and AFN staff in the development of sustainable outreach and training plans.
- Provide direct training to PCC partner clients and volunteers.
- Work with PCC partner sites to gather and report in a timely manner all required PCC training statistics.
- Manage forms and data collection by collaborating directly with AFN staff and staff at PCC partner sites after each session.
- Assist the team in identifying, recruiting, training, and utilizing community volunteers.
- Participate as an active team member with the AFN training team creating a common set of “best practices” for partner agencies to use to identify and recommend curricula, clinic trainings, professional development for program specialists, creating catalogs, handouts, and other documentation as required.
- Experience with Adult basic education helpful
- General program responsibilities:
- Participate in program meetings, staff meetings, off-site trainings and retreats.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve overall team goals.
- Contribute new ideas regarding the sustainability for outreach programs.
Understand and communicate the AFN mission to PCC partner sites staff, clients, donors, and other stakeholders and other tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, or equivalent;
- Good listener; patient teacher;
- A team player with a positive attitude and a passion for the AFN mission; Experience working with one or more underrepresented or vulnerable of the population groups, adult learners and/or low income communities.
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Detail-oriented with strong writing skills
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong “people” skills
- Team player who is also capable of working independently and with minimal oversight
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Ability to set priorities for self, and adjust when priorities change
- Proficient using all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, etc.
- IT training or solution skills
Experience working with homeless populations
If interested in the Program Specialist position, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (Position open until filled)
Communications Internship (Posted March 13, 2017)
Are you a social media guru or gifted story teller? Check out our current Communications Intern position.
GENERAL SUMMARY: To assist the Communications Manager in an array of special projects that help further the message and mission of Austin Free-Net.
OUR MISSION: We exist to provide technology training and access to the community, fostering skills that enable people to succeed in a digital age.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communications Manager, the Intern may engage in the following projects:
Assist with writing and editing copy for monthly e-newsletters
Assist with the promotion of Digital Inclusion Week event
Develop a list of newspapers and magazines that have free opportunities for non-profits to submit news and photos
Create content for Austin Free Net’s social media platforms
Update content on Austin Free-Net’s website
- Excellent writing skills and superb grasp of grammatical rules
- Strong copyediting and research abilities
- Must be detail-oriented and have a strong willingness to learn
- Social Media experience preferably with an organization (i.e. student group, class), but not required
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize, and handle multiple functions simultaneously and communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing
ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE CONSIDERED (Not Required)
- Experience videotaping and editing videos for Youtube Channel
- Adobe Creative Suite
TYPE: This is an unpaid internship.
Able to commit to an internship for the duration of the current semester
At least 4 hours/week
Flexible to accommodate a student’s changing schedule
If interested in the Internship, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by March 27, 2017.